A surgical technologist is a healthcare professional who basically assists the main surgeon during operations. They are actually responsible for preparing the operating room, offer help to the doctors and nurses in the room during the operation and arrange the necessary equipment according to the requirements. Surgical technologists are also known as operating room technicians. In order to become one such specialist you need to take your surgical technologist certification.
The greatest majority of the surgical technologists work in hospital environments. However such a specialist is also needed when smaller scale operations are carried out, such as dentistry surgery. You can choose to work in a hospital, in a privately owned clinic or any health institution where surgeries are being carried out. After your graduation from the main study program, you have to take your surgical technologist certification.
Becoming a surgical technologist
In order to become such a healthcare specialist, you will need an associate degree or a post secondary certificate. You are going to find much quicker a high paying job if you have a surgical technologist certification. The surgical technologists are certified by the organization known as NBSTSA- The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting. The headquarters or the certifying organization can be found in Littleton,Colorado.
Through certification, you will be able to prove that you meet all the national standards of knowledge and experience pertaining to the main job duties of a surgical technologist. Becoming certified is not mandatory, but it is definitely a very important requirement if you want to be able to get a job which is remunerated very well. Most of the healthcare employers are looking for graduates with surgical technology certification.
When you get your certification, you will be able to legally use the initials CST (Certified Surgical Technologist) alongside your name. Getting the certification is also a matter of personal and professional pride, so make sure you will not skip this important stage.
Payment perspectives of a surgical technologist
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median income of a surgical technologist was $39,920 in 2010. They get paid an average of $19.9 per hour, and the job outlook is on continuous rise for the upcoming years (20%+).
Tasks and Duties of a professional with surgical technology certification:
- Make sure to maintain the operation field sterile all throughout the procedure
- Before and after operation, you will always have to count needles, sponges and all surgical instruments
- You will have to hand over instruments to surgeons and nurses during operation
- You will also be trained to prepare the patient for the operation (making sure to position the patient in the right posture for the operation, using sterile surgical drapes to cover them, etc.)
- Assisting the surgical team with scrubbing
- Sterilization of surgical equipment
- After the operation, you might have to prepare the bandages and apply them on the patient
- Cleaning up the operating room, and making sure that all the supplies and the entire equipment is arranged as required in the OR.